Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The jokes on me, I think.

I've really enjoyed venturing around all the boroughs of London and checking places off my list. Exploring has generally been a low stress activity with few incidents that I'm aware of.

Though I have had one reoccuring problem. Despite my initiative to research places, locate their nearest tube and carefully examine the proper route from the tube to the final destination, I've got into a routine of taking an immediate turn in the wrong direction and ending up lost for quite sometime.

I'd like to say it's only happened a few times but looking back, I'm pretty sure its been everytime. Starting with me and Chrissy's trip to the Natural History Museum and Buckingham Palace, followed by my solo adventures to church in South Kensington, Regent Park, Notting Hill, St. James Park, Covent Garden and again, Buckingham Palace coming from a different direction.

Some people in my unique postion might consider asking for directions after leaving the tube station but I can't seem to accept that––partially cause I don't mind walking and partially because I suspect that this is an elaborate conspiracy that the entire city of London is in on.

Does that seem far fetched? Maybe. But I swear, its the only explanation. I have taken plenty if time looking at maps, reading signs and being patient yet everytime without fail I end up a mile in the wrong direction. So it must be a joke, right? Perhaps my life has become like "The Truman Show" and people everywhere are watching and enjoying my confusion, changing the direction of the signs just before I arrive and disguising locations to really throw me off. All the while, they're secretly routing for me to figure it all out on my own––to storm Big Ben with all my frustration and finally discover that its just cardboard and not the real thing at all.

Yes, I think that must be it. A conspiracy. A big joke at my innocent American expense. Definitely not just my own ignorance or poor sense of direction.

Good one London! You got me this time. But I'm not giving up just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment